If no one has ever asked you this question beauty, prepare to feel alive again...
I remember getting to a point last spring where I was constantly tired and drained. Like I was so heavy with the weight of the world on my shoulders. I had literally zero energy, and would strongly desire a nap just 2-3 hours after awakening from an 8+ hour sleep.
I was in my regular exercise and nutrition routine too, doing everything right. There was no explanation for why I was so depleted. So my mind began to race…and I started to believe it had to be my health. I started believing perhaps my thyroid was out of whack, and that it was time to see a doctor.
Before I even had a chance to do that, I asked the universe for answers, for help, and it arrived in the form of a question from my coach…
"When was the last time you had a date with your heart?" - he asked.
Whaaaaat?! I had never heard this expression before and I asked him what that was.
He replied "If there was no right or wrong answer Jen, what would that be?"
Thirty six hours later as my energy continued to tank, I went home on a friday afternoon in May, grabbed my journal and a pen, some snacks and a water bottle. I cleared my schedule for the rest of the day, got in my car and drove. Just drove. I had no idea where I was going, I had no idea what time I would be home. And when my mind tried to place these limitations on me, I told it to get lost. It wasn't invited to 3rd wheel on my date with my heart. The rest of this afternoon was dedicated to my soul.
I put on some old favorite songs I hadn't heard in a while. I took the top off my car and let the wind mess up and blow through my hair. I sang out loud. I danced in my seat. I took the scenic route. I drove along the ocean on the old Island Hwy of Vancouver Island. I pulled over for Ice Cream at a small Mom+Pop shop, and rather than control the outcome, I simply asked for a scoop of their two best flavors. I drove some more. When I saw a peaceful beach at the end of a road, I pulled over, sat on some driftwood, and gazed out at the horizon. I felt the sun on my face, the warm breeze across my skin. I took off my shoes and felt the sand and earth beneath my feet.
I felt alive again.
I took out my journal, and gave myself permission to write my truest, deepest thoughts, secrets, and desires I was holding myself back from admitting.
I felt a 1,000,000lbs rise up off my chest and shoulders. I felt so light for the first time in months.
I was free.
My energy changed that day, and so did my life. Now I know that I am in control of my energy, even outside of my bodies physical needs.
My soul needs replenishing too.
What about you beauty? Do you feel inexplicably more drained than you should? Do you remember the last time you felt truly invigorated and replenished?
When was the last time you did something because you WANT to, not because you have to?
I invite you beauty, to find ways to fuel your heart, even in the smallest pockets of your jam-packed days.
No amount of sleep or proper nutrition can make up for the depletion of our soul.
Only you know what that would be, it is different for everyone. But if you could use some ideas to get the ball rolling, consider some of these…
* Journalling, even 5 minutes. Write out the questions to the answers you are seeking. Or write 5 gratitudes, or something you need to get off your chest. Or have no idea what you are going to write but open the journal anyway and see what comes pouring out.
* The Ocean, if you are one of the lucky ones who lives near it! The beach has negative ions that are odorless, tasteless, and invisible molecules that we inhale in abundance in certain environments. Once they reach our bloodstream, negative ions are believed to produce biochemical reactions that increase levels of the mood chemical serotonin, helping to alleviate depression, relieve stress, and boost our daytime energy. Yes please!
* No ocean? A mountain, forest, waterfall, or hike can produce the same effects!
* High-Vibe Audiobooks! Recommended app - AUDIBLE!! For my fellow book lovers, trust me on this. Get rid of that stack of 6 books beside your nightstand you've been trying to read for months, and listen while on the go! Driving, walking your dog, warming up at the gym, running, doing the dishes, folding the laundry - you can be listening to some pretty inspirational words by Brendon Burchard, Michael A Singer, Oprah, and anyone else you can dream of!
* Music!! For an extra quick pick-me-up - blast that empowering Beyonce or favorite song you have, and dance wherever you are! In your house, in your office, in your bathroom, in your car, even in your head if you have to. This is one of my favs!
* Meditation - so powerful. When just getting started, check out free guided meditations on youtube, or use mine in my free Dream Starter Kit!
* Fresh Air, Exercise - walk around the block even
* Hot bath - an extra step is to rinse off excess energy you don't wish to hold anymore with Epsom Salts
* Sending love - to a friend, a sibling, a parent, or even a stranger. Especially when you are down in the dumps and don't feel cheery enough to do something like this, it is your quickest route to a more positive mood. A quick facebook message, text or email..even better, a handwritten note for no reason!
Check in with your heart, beauty. When does it feel the happiest, lightest, and most joyful? The next step is to get creative and find the small pockets of your day or week you can create even 5-15 minutes for at least 1 of these things consistantly. Go so far as to write it down in your schedule!! What gets scheduled, gets done!
Please tell me when you do - I cannot WAIT to hear the shifts you experience!!
Wishing you a soul full of energy, beauty <3
Follow Your Heart Always,